1964 World's Fair Information Manual

Chief Charles White Eagle, Chairman
National American Youth Committee
of Arrow, Incorporated
1166 19th Street, N.W.
Washington 6, D.C.
202 FE8-4055
August 24, 1963
24,000 sq. ft.
Artist's rendering

SOURCE: 1964 World's Fair Information Manual


The Indian Pavilion is an integrated display of the history, lore, crafts and tribal rights of the American Indian. This authentic American Indian Exposition depicts the historical significance of Indian life and its contribution to the heritage of America.

Located in the Lake Amusement Area, it includes five structures and a Ceremonial Circle where Indian dances and activities are demonstrated.

Exhibits for the Indian Exposition change constantly to embrace many periods. Indian art is represented by works of early times loaned for the exhibit by the Bureau of Indian Affairs and other United States sources. Additional artwork, bows and arrows, beaded saddles and displays of early handicrafts, originally in the possession of Spain and other foreign governments, and not seen in the United States for at least two centuries, have been loaned for the exhibit.

One of the Northwest Indian delicacies to be served in the Pavilion is salmon, smoked on the grounds by various Indian tribes. Among the exciting events shown for the first time off the Reservation are a live snake dance, the hot coals dance and other rites.

This is the first time that the American Indians have had an organized exhibit at a World's Fair. The National American Indian Youth Committee of Arrow, Incorporated, is a non-profit organization working on behalf of American Indians in the fields of health, education, housing, arts and crafts, the development of resources, and seeks scholarship funds for the education of Indian tribes. Arrow, Incorporated was organized in 1949 by Will Rogers, Jr.


Webmaster's note... The American Indian Exposition Pavilion is another World's Fair mystery. Like The World of Food Pavilion, its footprint often appears on maps of the Fair right up to opening day. The pavilion, however, was never built and the lot remained empty throughout the run of the Fair.