- The Protestant and Orthodox Center
- AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE
- Dr. G. Barrett Rich, Program Director
- The Protestant Council of the City of New York
- 475 Riverside Drive, Suite 456
- New York 17, New York
- RI 9-1214
- FAIR CONTACT
- Mr. William Ottley
- CONTRACT SIGNED
- October 4, 1962
- Block 16; Lot 7
- Industrial Area
- 75,797 sq. ft.
- Mr. Henry W. Stone
- 159 West 33rd Street
- New York, New York
- LW 4-1375
- Kemp and Schwartz, Assoc.
- 155 East 44th Street
- New York 17, New York
- OX 7-1794
- E. W. Howell Company
SOURCE: 1964 World's Fair Information Manual
- The Center incorporates an exhibit pavilion sponsored by major Protestant denominations and related organizations. The theme selected for the Center is "Jesus Christ, the Light of the World"
- The Center includes:
- The Court of Protestant Pioneers: an oval shaped forecourt, 80 feet by 160 feet, surrounded by 34 columns, each dedicated to a pioneer in the Protestant movement.
- The Reception Center supplys information about the programs of the Center and churches in the Metropolitan areas.
- The Chapel: Seating some 50 persons, the Chapel provides a quiet area for meditation and for special services.
- The Children's Center: Combining indoor and outdoor areas, this kindergarten-type facility provides a supervised program of creative activities where parents may leave their younger children while they visit other sections of the Fair.
- In the Music Garden tired Fair-goers may rest, meet friends and listen to specially recorded music. They key feature of the garden is the Carred Cross of Coventry Cathedral, saved from the destruction of World War II.
- The Theatre accommodating 372 persons presents a specially created wide screen film in color and stereo sound. The threatre is designed to permit each person to get a full view of the entire screen. The film s a dramatic contemporary presentation.
- The Exhibit Area, approximately 26,000 square feet of space, is devoted to various denominations and religious organizations. Leases have been signed by the following:
- Americans United
- The Arameic Bible Society
- The Assemblies of God
- The Baptists (seven Baptist conventions acting jointly)
- The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association
- The Church of Christ
- The Greek Archdiocese of North and South America
- __(the Greek Orthodox Church)
- Guideposts Magazine
- The Lutherans
- The Methodists
- The Protestant Episcopal Church
- The Salvation Army
- The Seventh-day Adventists
- The Swedenborgian Church
- The United Presbyterians (cooperating with the Reformed Church in America)
The Protestant and Orthodox Center
Source: NY World's Fair Publication For Those Who Produced the New York World's Fair 1964-1965