1964 & 1965 Official Guidebook Entries


The description of this exhibit from the 1964 Official Guide Book

Cover- 1964 Guidebook

The description of this exhibit from the 1965 Official Guide Book

Cover - 1965 Guidebook

The location of this exhibit on the 1964 Official Souvenir Map

Cover - 1965 Guidebook

RUSSIAN ORTHODOX
GREEK-CATHOLIC
CHURCH OF AMERICA
This pavilion is a replica of the historic Russian Orthodox chapel built at Fort Ross, California, in 1823, at a time when the Czar was claiming part of the West Coast as Russian territory (Rossiya, the original name, means "Russia"). Inside the simple wooden chapel is the main exhibit: an icon whose gold covering is encrusted with jewels. It is one of a type modeled after the famous 16th Century icon of Our Lay of Kazan, whose miraculous powers were recognized by the Church. Other religious objects complete the exhibit. A kiosk sells reproductions of the icon.
* Admission: free.

RUSSIAN ORTHODOX
GREEK-CATHOLIC
CHURCH OF AMERICA

A valuable jeweled icon is shown in a replica of a Russian chapel built in California in 1823.

The historic chapel was erected at Fort Ross at a time when Russia claimed a part of America's west coast. The icon is revered as an authentic replica of the famous 16th Century icon of Our Lady of Kazan, believed to have miraculous powers. Reproductions of it are on sale.

Admission: free.

 

More Content